Monday, August 11, 2008

Hold Steady, New York City!

While I'm headed to the opposite coast, the Hold Steady show their affection for the Big Apple in this sweet series of rooftop jams, courtesy of Pitchfork:

They don't sound quite as sick as they do on the new album, but imagine walking down the street only to have your socks rocked off by Craig Finn & Company, serenading you with songs about deuce cruces from a soaring skyscraper. Now that, as Murry would say, is "pretty rock 'n roll."

I missed these guys at Pitchfork a few weeks back and have been lashing myself Scarlet-Letter-style ever since! I even have the initials HS carved into my chest with bloody carnage, just because I couldn't afford the tiny little text etched into my neck that said "Jesus lived and died for all your sins." But we've all heard that song before, and I think you still get the metaphor...

Alright, I'll stop quoting lyrics and lay it out. These guys rock. I caught them last year at the Metro but ONCE IS NOT ENOUGH. Check out the new album Stay Positive, and then you'll finally understand that when I say "Dyer Maker," you should probably laugh 'cuz it's a joke about Jamaica.

(She always found a ride back home from the bar...)

No comments: