Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Deception!

So, I'm sitting in my Psych class on Deception, cleverly deceiving my prof into thinking I'm paying attention, and it got me to thinking. Turtles.
I tried to shake the feeling, but it wouldn't go. So instead of giving into impulse, I decided to lose myself in the delightful splendor of the YouTube generation. Here was my first discovery:



Ahh, deception at its finest! Guerilla comedy is springing up on a nation-wide level, and that means groups like Improv Everywhere and the fine people in the above clip are gaining momentum. I love the idea of spontaneous art and comedy appearing in the everyday world to give the mundane an unexpected burst of the surreal. My friend Britt likes it too, and so she's started a group on campus dedicated to making it happen around Chicagoland. If you're interested in getting involved, ask me about it or facebook Britt. I'm 100% on board with this kind of performance, as long as it doesn't end like this:



But I think it's safe to say that nobody wants real life to end up like an M. Night Shyamalan movie, all darkly boring until an unexpectedly twist that fails to legitimize anything that happened previously. This really stretches the Allan Kaprow's definition, but the amount of gore in this red-band trailer suggests that Shyamalan's latest effort might be decidedly less somniferous than his recent fair (especially the immeasurably boring Lady in the Water). I'm all for horrifying things like I've never seen before, just as long as they adhere to a certain code of ethics. I don't want to be squirming uncomfortably in my seat Butterfly Effect-style as every possible disturbing image in the universe is shoved down my throat (after a certain point, that movie could be considered abused, and I just sat through all of Batman & Robin so believe me, I KNOW abuse). Reminder: Britt is a sweet kind nice individual, so if you allude to anything in the previous film trailer, you'll be putting her through her own personal Butterfly Effect. Talk about nice things, like dewdrops and capricorns! Then you'll be in like flynn! Ha-cha-cha!
Speaking of wildly disgusting things, I highly recommend you head over to the iTunes store and check out the Red-Band trailer for the latest Ben Stiller epic, TROPIC THUNDER. It's only available there, and it really pushes the boundaries of what's permissible in non-cartoon comedy. It kind of has a Ren & Stimpy sensibility about it, which I wholly appreciate. As long as the dialog is as strong as the sight-gags, we might have a winner on our hands, or at least a successor to the throne of Zoolander.
But back to deception, in a way I've been deceiving you and myself this whole time. There's only one thing on my mind right now. Turtles. I think I'll have to do some more research and get back to you.

No comments: